Saturday 19 March 2011

I was happy yesterday because..

I was happy yesterday because.. I was just happy !! I don't need a reason at the moment. It is a change from last year when I didn't need a reason to be anxious or depressed. I don't know what changed but I took it with both hands. I have taken the chance to work on myself and on my moods. It is going on 3 months now, with the odd blip mostly when I get over tired. Touch wood, I bounce back after rest or a sleep. I feel happy, PERIOD!!

It is only just into today. I mis-read my alarm through bleary eyes and got up at 12.30. If I had read it properly , it may not have kept me in bed. That is irrelevant. I was happy yesterday because it was a good balanced day. I went out to town in the morning. I picked up some pills from the Pharmacy, bought groceries from two shops and stopped off for a large skinny latte at Costa Coffee. I kept busy all day but took time out to watch TV and run weekly computer scans. It was a Saturday as I remember them. Lately, I couldn't be bothered to get up.

I have realized that one of the secrets of happiness is to set your goals realistically. If you have achievable goals for a day or a week, you have a much better chance of achieving them. Achieving them will hopefully make you happy. If you set unrealistic goals, failure is likely and you will feel unhappy or worse. It is simplistic but it has helped me a lot. If I expect to have a great life as I remember, it isn't going to happen in a hurry, and I will continue to feel miserable. I think it is best to set yourself realistic goals and work towards them. Baby steps !! You should start doing things that might help you in the long run.

Clive

1 comment:

  1. Perfect advice, Clive. I find my moods are definitely tied to my sleep or lack thereof AND whether I achieve any of the goals I set. The more I don't achieve and procrastinate, the longer my depressions last. However, it is unfortunately a double-edged sword in that when depressed, we are rarely motivated enough accomplish, much less, set goals. I'm glad you had a good day. Baby steps, yes baby steps and being happy with each one we take is the way to balance....Sue, your new FB friend

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. It is very much appreciated.