Monday 9 February 2009

Hypomania - Curse or Benefit

Hypomania. It has been the precursor of a manic episode in my experience. This happened when I foolishly stopped taking my Lithium. It also happened at other times when I was stimulated by something good or bad. In the hypomanic state, you can be very creative. I produced some of my best work in this state. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand it when I returned to normality. The rush of hypomania can quickly give way to mania where crazy plans are made and executed. I believe that my lengthy experience of my mood swings puts me in a good place to catch hypomania early. It is dangerous to ride the elation of hypomania. It can get away from you and you are lost. I don't see anything good about mania. I never reached the realms of psychosis or religious delusions but I was truly lost.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to teeter on the edge of hypomania most of the time and it's a good place to be( I'm creative and happy and myself as I was during my best times, but when my sleep gets to less than 5 hours a night( my warning ) I quickly change something. I think it's very smart the way you handle things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am addicted to my manias. They happen every 6 weeks or so. The rest of the time I'm terribly depressed. When I feel losly most of the time any mania is welcome.After so many years of being bipolar I've learned how not to let myself get into full mania.(well most t5he time)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. It is very much appreciated.